- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is essentially fermented fruit juice. It’s made by crushing apples and using bacteria & yeast to ferment the juice.
- There’s different types of ACV available. Distilled is clear, & great for canning/pickling veggies. Raw, unfiltered, or unpasteurized contains a cloudy substance formed by natural enzymes during fermentation. It’s great for salad dressings, marinades, or if you’re going to be adding a tsp to a drink.
- Research shows consuming a small amount (~1 Tbsp) of vinegar diluted with 1 cup water before a meal containing starch can actually reduce blood sugar spikes. The acetic acid in ACV works to partially block the digestion of starches. But I should mention there are other ways to prevent spikes in your blood sugar – eating a healthy diet high in fiber-rich foods & low in refined, high sugar foods is a good start.
- Research shows it could be beneficial in relieving heartburn & could provide some good gut bacteria (thanks to fermentation).
- As for weight loss, there’s really only one human study to date that shows a VERY modest reduction in weight (subjects lost ~2-5 lbs. over 3-month period) so to say ACV helps you lose weight is far from a fact.
- Can ACV detoxify your blood & flush out toxins? No. Your liver and kidneys are what eliminate toxins, not a shot of ACV. One way to help detoxify your body is to reduce the amount of toxins you have coming in in the first place! Especially the types you can control, such as excessive alcohol, smoking, and pesticides.
- Drinking it straight can erode your tooth enamel and damage your esophagus, so always dilute it with water before drinking it (1 Tbsp + 1 cup water). You won’t get any more benefit from drinking it straight vs. diluting it with water…in fact, what a great way to up your water intake? #hydration? (really, just stop taking shots of it please.)
- What’s the best way to eat it? In a salad! When combined with olive oil & your favorite seasonings, ACV makes a delicious homemade dressing.
The below video is taken from my instagram, which you can follow here.