In this week's 1-minute nutrition video series, I covered collagen! It was very challenging squeezing all I wanted to say in 60-seconds…so here’s a few additional points to completely cover what you should know about collagen!
- Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body and a crucial component of connective tissues, cartilage, bone and skin. As a supplement, it’s sourced from animal bones, skin, and connective tissues.
- Since collagen supplements are pretty new to the market, the research is still slim. BUT a handful of studies show promising results on skin and joints! Including improved skin elasticity, and decreased symptoms associated with osteoarthritis.
- Despite the possible benefits, I want you to know that collagen is NOT a miracle drug – the health claims made are a bit extreme (weight loss, improved athletic performance, deeper sleep??) considering the lack of research.
- Possible side effects of taking collagen include nausea, heartburn, skin reactions, or headaches.
- You don’t NEED to take a supplement! Vitamin C is crucial for the body’s production of collagen, so load up on foods rich in Vitamin C! Antioxidants, omega-3s, vitamin A, and essential amino acids all play a role in collagen production and protecting those fatty membranes around skin cells from free radicals. You can also find collagen naturally in foods such as eggs and bone broth. As with any supplement, taking it won’t completely undo the effects that a bad diet has on your body.
Watch the full video below!