4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (or brown rice flour if GF)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup parmesan, shredded
1/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup marinara sauce (looking for a healthier marinara sauce? Try Amy's Brand)
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
Olive oil (about 1 Tbsp)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Flatten chicken breasts out to about half their original thickness. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil.
2. Mix together the whole wheat breadcrumbs, dried basil, dried oregano and parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Dip each side of chicken breast into mixture and place on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick olive oil cooking spray. Spray olive oil lightly on top of chicken breasts (this helps to make a crispier outside!)
3. Bake for 25 minutes on 425 degrees. (Flip once half-way during cooking time)
4. Remove chicken from oven, and spread 1 Tbsp of marinara sauce on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of mozzarella cheese on each chicken breast. (4 Tbsp = 1/4 cup…1 Tbsp per chicken breast if cooking 4 servings). Place back in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
5. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh basil. Pairs great with whole wheat pasta and roasted broccoli.
Nutrition Facts Info:
Chicken Parmesan from a chain-restaurant such as Macaroni Grill contains up to 1,610 calories, 17 grams of saturated fat, and 1,890 mg sodium. Unfortunately, their website does not list total grams of fat or grams of sugar, so these were the only numbers I could compare my recipe to (frustrating that these measurements are not required yet by every restaurant.) A serving of my recipe contains 274 calories, 2 grams saturated fat and 325 mg sodium.