Makes 6-8 burgers
3 large sweet potatoes
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup onion, diced
3/4 cup rolled oats (or you can save a step by buying oat flour)
1 cup quinoa, cooked
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp smoked paprika powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp sea salt
2-3 Tbsp olive oil (for cooking)
1. Slice sweet potatoes in half and place on cooking sheet (cut side down) sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Roast sweet potatoes in oven at 400 degrees until soft (about 35 minutes). Once potatoes have cooled down, remove the skins and chop potatoes into small chunks and place in large bowl.
2. While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the rest of the burger mixture by cooking the quinoa as directions list on package. Set aside to cool and measure out one cup. Add to bowl with sweet potatoes.
3. Place 3/4 cup oats in a food processor and grind until oats are broken up (it actually makes a better mixture if it is not as fine as flour, however, oat flour can be purchased and used here to save time.)
4. Rinse and drain black beans and add to the large bowl with sweet potatoes and quinoa. Add all other ingredients to the bowl and mix together well using either a potato masher or hand mixer. *Optional step: Cover and refrigerate mixture for a few hours before cooking. This helps the patties hold together better and I highly recommend it!
5. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat and cook black bean burgers for about 4 minutes each side (until slightly golden on outsides). Top with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy!