Makes 9 servings
1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 white onion, diced
3 large zucchinis (slice about 1/4 inch thick)
1 can (14 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium marinara sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
optional: 1 tsp red pepper flakes for extra spice!
1 cup cottage cheese (4% milkfat)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2/3 cup shredded Mozzarella
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice zucchini into thin strips (about 1/4 inch thick). Place on large baking sheet with tin foil, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and roast about 15 minutes. (This helps dry out the zucchini so your lasagna isn't runny!)
- Begin making spicy meat sauce while zucchini is roasting in oven. Heat olive oil in a large skillet (I used large saute pan) over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic followed by the ground turkey, cooking until no longer pink.
- Drain and rinse canned fire-roasted tomatoes (to reduce liquid) and add to ground turkey. Add the marinara sauce, oregano, parsley, chili powder, fresh basil and optional red pepper flakes. Stir mixture together and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. The sauce should begin to thicken. After 10 minutes remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the egg, parmesan, and cottage cheese together with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add in about 1/2 cup of the meat sauce and stir together. This will be your "cheese mixture".
- To begin layering your lasagna, lightly coat your baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread about half of the spicy meat sauce evenly into the bottom of the pan. Then place half of the zucchini slices evenly on top. Then spread half of the "cheese mixture" along with 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat those layers a second time through (i.e. the other half of the meat sauce, the rest of the zucchini slices, the rest of the cheese mixture, and final 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese). Bake on 400 degrees uncovered for approximately 25-30 minutes. Cheese should be lightly browned on top. This recipe makes 9 large servings...perfect for leftovers all week long! Enjoy!