Servings: Makes 6-8 servings
2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, sliced
8 cups chicken broth
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 thyme, dried
1 tsp parsley, dried
1/4 tsp rosemary, dried
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Garnish with a pinch of shredded cheese & fresh parsley
1. Warm a large saucepan with 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Saute onions & garlic until translucent.
2. Add in all other ingredients except the chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover and keep simmering on medium heat for 20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes, use a wooden spoon to mash the potatoes into the broth (the potatoes will become extremely soft and easily mash, making a very creamy mixture). Cover, and continue to simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
4. While your soup is simmering, place chicken breasts in a separate skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and add enough water to cover them. Simmer for another 10 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken from pan and place on plate or cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken breasts, and toss shredded chicken into the large pot of soup.
4. Top each bowl with cheese and crackers (or to keep this dish dairy-free, skip the cheese on top or use a vegan cheese). Enjoy!