It's the same ooey gooey mac & cheese you love...but with a few healthy twists! Whole wheat macaroni & Greek yogurt boost the fiber & protein, while the addition of cauliflower reduces the fat and increases the nutrients. This mac & cheese makes 6-8 generous servings, at just 210-280 calories per serving (depending on if you divide it between 6 or 8.) For Nutrition Facts, see bottom of page or "Print Me" printable version.
Servings: Makes 6-8 Servings; 210-280 calories per serving
2 & ½ cups whole wheat macaroni (elbow) noodles
1 (12 oz.) bag cauliflower florets
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
2/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (seeds optional for extra heat)
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
1 & ½ Tbsp parmesan, grated
Optional: 1 Tbsp chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Chop cauliflower florets into bite-size pieces.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the pasta and cauliflower. Cook until al dente (about 6-8 minutes).
4. In separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs with grated parmesan cheese & set aside.
5. Drain water from pasta & cauliflower and place back into large pot.
6. Stir in the yogurt, milk, cheddar cheese, black pepper, salt, and jalapeno. Transfer to baking dish or ramekins (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray).
7. Sprinkle the breadcrumb & grated cheese mixture on top and cover with foil or lid.
8. Bake the pasta covered until the mixture cooks around the edges (25 minutes for casserole dish, 15 minutes for small ramekins). Remove lid/uncover foil and let cheese brown for another 5 minutes in oven.
9. Allow 5 minutes to cool. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (based on 6 servings): 280 Calories, 11g Fat, 32g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 17g Protein, 51% Vitamin C, 47% Calcium