Makes 12 muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour (for gluten-free could sub with all-purpose GF or oat flour)
2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup oil (such as avocado or melted coconut)
1/3 cup 100% maple syrup or honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 heaping cup fresh or frozen blueberries
**note: if you prefer 'extra moist' muffins, mash a small ripe banana into the wet ingredients!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients – almond milk, egg (at room temperature), apple cider vinegar, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. If using coconut oil, make sure it is melted. Combine and set aside. *note: if you prefer very moist muffins, add in a small ripe mashed banana.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and use a large spoon or spatula to combine (don’t over-mix – lumpy batter is good for allowing muffins to rise!) Add in the frozen or fresh blueberries.
4. Spoon the batter into each muffin cup in a 12-cup muffin pan, lined with either parchment liners or sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Fill each cup about ¾ of the way full. Top with some additional blueberries and a sprinkle of coconut sugar if desired.
5. Bake at 375 for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy!