15 oz. block extra firm tofu
2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (or 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese if not vegan)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Press tofu for at least 15 minutes by wrapping in clean dish towel or paper towels and placing something heavy (such as a cast-iron skillet) on top.
3. While tofu is pressing, toss breading mixture (bread crumbs, salt, garlic powder, paprika, nutritional yeast, and if using Italian seasoning) together in a large Ziploc bag.
4. Remove towels from tofu and cut into bite size pieces or into desired nugget shapes. Pour about 2-3 Tbsp olive oil on a plate, and dip each side of tofu to create a thin layer (this helps the bread crumb mixture to stick & get crispy!) Toss tofu nuggets into the bag with bread crumb mixture and shake well until each side is covered.
5. Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet. Lay tofu nuggets on sheet, do not overlap. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip over, and place back in oven for another 20-25 minutes, until nice and crispy. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!