Makes 4 servings (weight gain athletes: 2 servings)
1 -15 oz. block extra firm tofu
2 sweet potatoes, diced
1 -15 oz. can black beans
1 green or yellow pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup kale, shredded
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 & ½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1. Press tofu for about 15 minutes by wrapping in a clean dish towel or paper towels and placing something heavy (such as a cast-iron skillet) on top.
2. Prepare the diced sweet potatoes, diced peppers and kale by sautéing in skillet over medium-high heat with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil. Add sweet potatoes first, for about 7-8 minutes before adding the peppers and kale. Cook until potatoes are golden brown and to desired crispness. Add salt and pepper or additional seasonings as desired. Drain and rinse 1 can of black beans, and add to the pan with veggies until warm.
3. While tofu is being pressed and veggies are cooking, prepare the tofu spice mixture. Place nutritional yeast, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and add enough water (about 3-4 Tbsp) until it becomes a pourable sauce.
4. Unwrap pressed tofu and use your hands to crumble up into bite-sized pieces. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes in a separate skillet with olive oil, then pour in the spice mixture overtop of the crumbled tofu. Stir continuously to make sure sauce evenly coats tofu. Cook for another 4-5 minutes (tofu should be lightly browned).
5. Spoon sweet potatoes, veggies, beans, and tofu into separate bowls. Optional top each with avocado slices or salsa. Makes 4 servings. Athletes looking to gain weight: separate this into just 2 servings. Or for a higher carb/calorie option, eat as tacos with tortillas!