They're messy, they're delicious, and they're completely vegan. Packed with flavor, you won't even miss the meat in this tofu scramble recipe! Tastes great alone as a scramble or even better tossed in whole wheat tortillas!
Servings: Makes 4-6 tacos
1 -15 oz. block extra firm tofu
2 potatoes or if short on time 2 cups hash browns
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 a small white onion, diced
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 & ½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
whole wheat flour tortillas or corn tortillas
1. Press tofu for about 15 minutes by wrapping in a clean dish towel or paper towels and placing something heavy (such as a cast-iron skillet) on top.
2. Prepare the hash browns, diced peppers and onions by sautéing in skillet over medium-high heat with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil. Cook until hash browns are golden brown and to desired crispness. Add salt and pepper or additional seasonings as desired.
3. While tofu is being pressed and veggies are cooking, prepare the tofu spice mixture. Place nutritional yeast, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and add enough water (about 3-4 Tbsp) until it becomes a pourable sauce.
4. Unwrap pressed tofu and use your hands to crumble up into bite-sized pieces. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes in a separate skillet with olive oil, then pour in the spice mixture overtop of the crumbled tofu. Stir continuously to make sure sauce evenly coats tofu. Cook for another 4-5 minutes (tofu should be lightly browned).
5. Place a scoop of veggie/hash browns and a scoop of tofu into each whole wheat tortilla. Top with avocado slices, salsa, and fresh cilantro. Makes 4-6 tacos. Or for a lower carb option, eat as a scramble without the tortillas!